Thursday, August 2, 2007

EDM #8 - Draw Your Watch


Recently, I have begun to consider the passing of time in a different light. Most of my life, time has seemed to be an unfriendly element that either constrained me or rushed me faster than I wanted to go. Most of the time it was rushing me. Now that I am 62, time goes faster than ever, but I am able to better appreciate the value of its passing.
I have a book about the relationship of Native Americans and time. There is no word for time in Native American languages and anytime is the right time. The beginning and end of each day is accompanied by prayer and ritual. For the First Americans, every day is a gift to be cherished, enjoyed, and used wisely.
I think that my relationship with time changed when I started school. There wasn't any pre-school or kindergarten when I was 5 years old. You started right out in first grade! I don't think I could read much, if at all, and I know that I had no clue about mathematics. I didn't mind being at school but the hours seemed to creep as I anxiously waited to get back home. Why did school have to take up so much of the day, so much of my time? I had a lot of other things that I wanted to do!
On August 1, each year, I spend a bit of the day thinking specifically about the importance of time because it is the 63rd anniversary of my father's death. He didn't have much time to live -he was 22 when his plane crashed in England during World War II. I have already lived 40 years longer than my father. His death reminds me that I have a responsibility to cherish the time I have today, and every day.
The watch in the sketch above is clipped inside the bag that I carry each day. I rarely look at it to see the time, but it is there if I want to. For today, I will do the things I need to do and remember how lucky I am to have another day to live and to remember my dad.
(2B pencil, Moleskine 5" x8" notebook, Graphtint pencils)

1 comment:

Alison said...

Great depth in the face of your watch and i like your text. School did take up too much time - I always had to start my day after 4.00 o'clock. I have done a set of 4 memory paintings about school - on my scribbles blog.