Friday, November 16, 2007

....THE NOT TOO PRETTY - part 2

I was having trouble with uploading my "ugly art" earlier and my blog went out without any drawing or painting. Here is part two. It was supposed to be the conclusion but I still can't seem to upload the second image. Perhaps it is just too awful to post. We'll see...I won't let it get the best of me!

This lone orchid sat on top of the television for nearly one month before I attempted to sketch it. That is exactly the way it looked from across the room - quiet, a bit lonely, pale, but obviously full of life. You can tell by the way the bloom holds it head up. It looks straight at you and the leaves beneath it seem to curl away to form an opening for its display. The two outside leaves point slightly inward as if to say, "look, she is right here in the center of the frame we have made, how lovely!" You can easily guess, that not only do I talk to my plants, they talk back to me!

I usually sketch in graphite for the EDM challenges. If I want to add color, I transfer, or copy, the outline onto watercolor paper and paint it. There was something about this sketch that indicated I should stop at this point (before I ruined it by overworking a watercolor). Even though it is "not too pretty", it doesn't quite qualify as ugly.

This one in color, however, may be the "not so prettiest" I have ever painted. I can tell you all the qualities it lacks as a painting, and there are many. Instead, I'll say that "at least I had the guts to post the picture on the blog." It demonstrates that I am working on my skills and not giving up in spite of attempts that don't thrill me.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Frankye, you are selling yourself short....I looked though many of your sketches and they are wonderful!!! The more you do the better you get and sounds like your art supplies could keep you going forever (kind of like mine). And I love your commentaries.

Now I am waiting to see your cactus. Monday is coming. Join me in Cactus Monday.

Rita said...

Hi Frankye,
I think they both look pretty!! I have been away from drawing for a couple of months--and it will probably be another few weeks. I have to finish my Christmas cards first. So good to see your work again and read your posts!!
Always, Rita :)

Ann said...

I like the watercolor flowers very much. And the graphite drawing of the orchid is lovely!
Ann

Anonymous said...

I see no ugliness at all. These are wonderful sketches. Sorry to hear about the development at the end of your lane. Hope things are going well.