Monday, February 4, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Things - EDMs #48 and #99

WOW! I finally did it! I don't know why, but my computer let me upload some of my art work for the first time since last November. This is a sketch of the Lamy Safari fountain pen that I bought in September. I've had the pencil sharpener for about 15 years and must get a new blade for it if I am going to get a good point on my colored pencils. The little bit of eraser is dirty and brittle. I added it to the sketch just before I replaced it. I spent a good deal of time on this piece and was actually content with it when I finished and decided that I would post it.

Being content with any of my art work is a novel experience. No matter how hard I work on them, or the positive comments I get from others, my sketches always seem so primitive, unpolished, or - heaven forbid - overworked! I just finished a post card size piece yesterday, (you can't see it yet because I'm sending it to Anita Davies), that is only partially overworked! If called upon to describe my artistic style, I would say that it is "colorful, tending toward realistic, but overworked."

Perhaps it is because I am a "beginning artist" - in spite of taking classes, reading books, studying catalogs, talking to artists, going to workshops, and owning every expensive art supply that Joe, Jerry, Dick, and Daniel ever advertised! I have been told that it is a temptation of beginning artists to "overwork" the products of their artistic endeavors. Well, duh! I figured that out all by myself! I do despise being so predictable and ordinary! At least predictable anyway...

Enter Kate Johnson (she has a new last name now, but my book has "Johnson" on it) and her marvelous talents, delightful students, and her encouraging entourage of faithful followers. The alumni of her online classes give glowing reports about the things they have learned, the improvement in their art work, and the fun they have being part of the on line alumni group. I am not being cynical, but completely serious. I have been collecting Kate's books for many years and have loved every one of them. Now I have the pleasure of becoming one of her faithful followers for real - in "cyber time" none the less.

I am about to begin my first online class with this esteemed artist and teacher and I can't wait! It starts on Tuesday and I have spent the past two weeks "overworking" the computer by reading blogs, setting up my Flickr account, figuring out how to post my art, negotiating links, tags, and art sites written in languages other than English. Gosh, that only leaves me a day to round up all my pencils, brushes, sketch books, tablets, erasers (oops, I shouldn't have mentioned that), bags, containers, boxes, tins, kleenex, paper towels and rags!

Let's see - shall I use the Prismacolors, Derwents, Neocolors, Faber-Castells, or Graphtints on my first sketch? Wish me luck - I hope I don't overwork it!

13 comments:

Teri said...

Wow, this is fabulous! I LOVE thst bright happy color. You will do great with Kate.

Bonny said...

This is a greatdrawing, Frankye! I also like the bright, cheerful colours.
See you in Kate's class!

Felicity Grace said...

Beautiful work, very colourful!

Btw, when I had trouble uploading I changed to Firefox and that worked. Like you, it seemed to right itself after some months too. I've no idea why!

Rita said...

I hope to be able to afford to take one of Kate's classes one day--she says wistfully! I have heard nothing but good things, also. You should have lots of fun, learn a lot, and make some new online friends! :)
Always, Rita

Serena Lewis said...

Very nice!!! Good luck with Kate's class, Frankye ~ :)

quirkyartist said...

I hope you will show us step-by-step your progress through Kate's class.

Ann said...

Wonderful watercolor! I really enjoyed your writing too. Have fun with Kate's class! I'd like to take one of her classes myself one of these days :)

FRANKYE said...

Wow, thank you all so much for your kind comments. I really believe that this new class will help me to feel more confident with my art work. See you on the blogs and EDM's.

quirkyartist said...

Hi there,
I am tagging you. I have been tagged twice in a week. You are in the first group which means you have 'only' 5 things to share about yourself. Give me a day or two and the rules will be on my blog.

quirkyartist said...

The ink bottle really glows!

joanieART said...

V clean and great colors.

Leslie said...

I really like this one, Frankye! The pen and sharpener are wonderful, and the erasure looks as if I could pick it up and use it!

Margaret Ann said...

You are a sheer delight to visit...I love your ink bottle and your writing and sense of humor is going to keep me coming back. I will be looking forward to seeing your future projects with Kate...I'll be baaaaaack! :)