Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ahhh - Donuts, My Favorite Food - EDM #146

There couldn't possibly be anything better than donuts - better tasting that is, not better for you! I really do love donuts, any kind - except for the ones with coconut on them. The type that I have illustrated here are a lot safer for me to have around the house than my most favorite kind - Krispy Kremes! If you have never had a Krispy Kreme Donut, it is probably a good thing. Once you have one, you will always remember the flavor, smell, texture, and melt-in-the-mouth goodness of this local treat.

I don't know what city they were born in, but here in Jacksonville Krispy Kremes are sold at gas stations, grocery stores, church breakfasts, and at the Krispy Kreme stores themselves. If you are a true Krispy Kreme aficinado, you will make a trip to the Krispy Kreme store where you can sit, hot coffee steaming on the table in front of you, and watch how they are made.

First, tiny balls of dough become limp rings of white floating through space on row upon row of wire racks. They travel up and down the conveyor belt, through the warmth of the oven, where they rise. When they reach the end of their journey in the rising oven, they are flipped, shelf by shelf, into a vat of boiling vegetable oil. Sizzle, snap, hiss - the rings puff up as they float along in the bubbling fat. Halfway through this leg of their journey, they are quickly flipped over by a device that rises up from the roiling grease to toss them over a dam into their second bath in the hot oil.

At just the right time, when they are golden brown on both sides, they careen over a metal ledge through a downpour of white, liquid, sugar, to emerge as donuts that are "Hot and Now!" The flashing neon sign in the window announces their readiness for consumption, and you are about to learn the truth of melt-in-the-mouth delight. The line attendant uses a wooden chopstick to deftly pluck your donut from its journey to the packing area, places it on a clean napkin, and hands you the warm, light, sticky treat. Mouth-watering joy is yours. One bite, another bite, maybe a third, and it is gone!

What do you think, shall we have a refill on the coffee and have another donut, or, maybe two?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Tasty, delicious drawing! Nothing closer to heaven than warm Krispy Kremes directly for their shops! In my youth I could polish off a warm dozen by myself.

quirkyartist said...

I'm not keen on things with coconut either. I first had Krispy Kremes for lunch at the Sydney Royal Easter Show.

By the way I am tagging you - details will be on my blog shortly.

Leslie said...

Frankye, I love your kitty! We have a tiny black cat who looks just like that. They do make it hard to get much done when they get in your face. :)

I love your orchids in the earlier post- very nice! Oh, and Krispy Kreme donuts are simply the best! Yum.