Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Holding On To The Good Stuff

This EDM sketch is "Something That Smells Good." It is one of my soapstone containers that holds Patchouli solid perfume. Patchouli became my favorite scent in the early 70's - primarily because it was said to cover the scent of marijuana. Back in those "good ole days" I smoked a lot of that herb and even grew it in my backyard. My neighbors all knew what the plants were and so did my children. As I look back on that, I think that the main thing it taught my children was the advantage of a good compost pile! I am proud to say that their minds weren't warped too much since neither of them seemed to be interested in smoking weed to any extent. Now my daughter is too old for such foolishness. I am too!

I don't smoke "Mary Jane," or cigarettes, anymore, nor do I drink alcohol in any form. I don't use illegal drugs - the ones that are prescribed for me alter my mind enough! Even though it has been a long time since I sat around with friends and smoked a joint, I didn't give up using Patchouli. I like the fragrance, and I like the memories that go with it. I remember those days with fondness and fun. I have a number of good stories about the times when I was "stoned." They are funny ones and I enjoy having others laugh with me over the antics of my younger days.

My brother, Mike, only wears Patchouli- that aftershave stuff is not for him! Like me, he has fond memories of the good times we each had in the past. I'm sorry to say that I never had that "particular good time" with Mike. Instead we share the love of the fragrance, the fun of wearing it, and our own individual stories of the "good times." When I am with Mike - not nearly enough for either of us - the fragrance of Patchouli enfolds us in a special, and somewhat secret, embrace.

The event that brought all this to mind so clearly, and fondly, was seeing Joan Baez in concert on Monday. The audience ranged somewhere between 45 and 70 years of age. There were canes and strong arms to lean on. No one moved very fast and there was lots of gray hair. A small number of younger people attended and Joan carefully explained the background of the songs for those who "weren't there" back then! She encouraged us to sing along on several of the songs...it was very nice. I'm told that there was a distinct smell of marijuana in the parking garage before the show...glad I wasn't there...I might have lingered a bit too long!

Well, this blog has kept me smiling the entire time. Ahhh, There was some good stuff in the 70's, I can still smell the fun we had.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome sketch and painting. Memories,-- trials an errors, the good things in life for sure!

Gabriel Campanario said...

love the colors on the skech. you are also a great storyteller!

Emily said...

I love this - reflecting on something good by painting it - it was like that for me when I did life drawing or painting outside - you really feel the essence of the thing.
Thanks so much for sharing this!

Christie said...

Good drawing and fond memories. I love patchouli -- unfortunately, mu husband can't stand it, and I love him more!

Rita said...

Hey, Lady!
Dropping in to say hi!
Miss your stories! :)

Scarlett said...

Thank you so very much for the long visit and the comments on my blog. It was rather odd, in that synchronization way, that you did. I had a sleepless night, thoughts flurry in and out, and for some strange reason thought of the movie Auntie Mame (which I had not seen in a very long time) and the last scene with Patrick's son and her going up the stairs. After a while, I got up for water and checked my email and . . .

Well, I really don't remember who you are from EDM, but what did really get me was your warmth and the fact that you like Auntie Mame too.

Very interesting.

Timaree said...

Joan Baez. I love her music. Glad you got to enjoy it. Yeah, we are all getting older. I hate that but can't stop it. Cute sketch and good story. I never did use the stuff. I don't like not being in control of everything. That does make for a more boring life though.