Sunday, July 22, 2007

WWII Memorial Impression


I sketched this in June last year when I visited the World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. My sister and I had planned the trip and she had gotten us a lovely room at new hotel near all the National Parks. My father was killed during WWII, over England, while flying reconnaissance in a P-38 Lightening. He crashed, unarmed and alone, and we believe that they recovered some of his remains. What I have from his death is a sprig of lavender from the field where he was killed.

I wanted so much to be at the opening of the Memorial, but that wasn't possible. At the Post Office where I work, I have met several Vets from that war. They are in their 80's, as my dad would have been. I keep hoping to meet someone who served in the same squadron or at the same base. I want to know what it was like for the men who took the photos for the D-Day invasion. His letters indicate that he took part in the photography for the invasion.

During a few moments when my sister and I sat to cool off, I sketched this impression in a large watercolor Moleskine with Graphtint Pencils and a Pigma pen. It isn't accurate or carefully rendered, it's just a remembrance of my visit and the nice trip Barbara and I shared.

No comments: